Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws

auto transmission?!

hey ..went to the mechanic n got my thermostat fixed ..that was good...only problem now is he says my transmissions starting to wear out n needs changing...i know its going to cost heapss to fix, but was just wondering, how can you tell when an automatic transmission needs changing?? ...ive never understood it, because ive always thought itll just blow n not work, thats when it doesnt work...cheers

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Probs wants to pour some money out of you.

Really you will only need a new/2nd hand/reconditioned trans.

Is if
    - the thing blew up
    - gear slipping
    - just general shit not working really lol *mechanical faults*
    - or you can check ur trans oil, see if its black - can mean a few things.

If you haven't noticed anything wrong with it and you think it still goes strong. Ignore it.

Hope it helps!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    haha yehh thought so...by the way, whats gear slipping??
    like everytime i do change gears from R to N or N to D4 n vice versa, it sort of jerks a little bit before stabilising into gear..dont think thats much of a problem though ..is it ??

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    JDM SiVTEC
    the jerking is normal. a slipping clutch is when u step on the gas, the engine revs up but the car doesnt move as fast as it should. u will know what i mean when you experience it. its like driving on half clutch in a manual... if u know how to drive a manual
    THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF VTEC

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by espionage84 View Post
    ... if u know how to drive a manual
    Was that a cheap shot?
    The path of Honda is beset on all sides by the iniquities of Mazda and the tyranny of Nissan. Blessed is the Honda owner who in the name of handling and performance shepherds his Honda through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his Honda's keeper and the finder of lost kilowatts. And I will strike down upon thee with great acceleration and furious VTEC those who attempt to overtake and destroy my Hondas. And you will know my name is PRELUDE when I lay my VTEC upon thee.

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Skyline R33 GTS
    the jerking is normal. a slipping clutch is when u step on the gas, the engine revs up but the car doesnt move as fast as it should. u will know what i mean when you experience it. its like driving on half clutch in a manual... if u know how to drive a manual
    Mates Commodore used to do that. EVERYONE said it was meant to do that. Apprentice mechanic and two mechanic wannabes (when we finish skool) thought it was a shift kit or something. I think even his uncle said it was supposed to do that, and he'd been in the industry for over 20 years!! Then the gearbox blew and proved us all wrong.
    I'm a Skyliner...And proud of it!!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    JDM SiVTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Seismic View Post
    Was that a cheap shot?
    no it wasnt... if i wanted it to be a cheap shot i would put 'if' in caps. anyway its an honest opinion cos not all of my guy friends learn the manual, and of my female friends, almost all learn the auto.

so no... it wasnt a cheap shot.
    THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF VTEC

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Skyline R33 GTS
    not all of my guy friends learn the manual the my female friends, almost all learn the auto. so no... it wasnt a cheap shot.
    Alot of my mates have their licences. Only one is manual. Even one who wants to be a mechanic next year has his auto licence. many people are under the influence manuals are dying out and soon won't exsist. Am I the only one who thinks this is bullshit? I hate driving auto cars (no offence to autos!)

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Haha lol... ive driven countless different cars but ive NEVER EVER DRIVEN AN AUTO EVER! how weird is that! Manual ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by brash22 View Post
    You sir are mad. Like lock you in the nuthouse mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabir View Post
    You sir are a prelude obsessed freak.
    Quote Originally Posted by hiru View Post
    you sir, are a prelunatic.

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Skyline R33 GTS
    well, the only auto i've really driven was the commodore mentioned earlier (spinning the wheels, a whole lot of fun when you dont have ur licence. It was mucking around in the back streets of the industial area), and when i stole my mates car as he relieved him self. I think he ite has "shat" himself, pun intendered. but yeh, manual ftw

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    ATTS
    does you auto trans make a lot of noise? like whining?

when my old cars auto was on the way out it sounded like my car was supercharged it never blew tho

oh and that auto overtaking manual is bullshit, its just cos all the domestics do cheap auto deals that people have autos. im sure if fords and holdens charged extra for auto things would be different.