Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Nissan Sextrail ST

Getting the Moonroof Flush ??

Hi guys and girls,

i installed a 5th gen moonroof in my 4th gen over the weekend. it was suprisingly easy, just took time and looks great the only thing different to the stock metal one is this one site a bit proud of the roofline at the front.

i was wondering if anyone who has done this mod got theres flush with the roof and how? i did a search on this and found only one comment about it, which was to remove the roofline and pack some washers under the roof. i found this a bit tricky to understand, but what ive done is removed all the W shaped washers to decrease the height of the moonroof above the brackets as much as possible.

if i cant fix it i wont worry about it to much as its not strikingly obvious, but if it can be perfect it would be swell
    so, anyone know a solution?

PS: i highly recommend anyone with a 4th gen do this mod, looks so much better and its easy for even a mod noob like me to do

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    wow, im really considering doing this soon, i saw a few glass panels at the oakliegh wreckers..and you say its easy, would you mind giving me a breif run thru of the steps?
    as for getting it flush, i think your on track with taking out anything from between where the panel sits on the rails, may be proped up on a washer or something, if not, i dunno about pushing the roof up with stuff.. maybe just try re doing up some of the bolts, so if that lets it drop into place...

PM me for all your car audio and other miscellaneous installation needs.

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Nissan Sextrail ST
    Quote Originally Posted by xmkydx View Post
    wow, im really considering doing this soon, i saw a few glass panels at the oakliegh wreckers..and you say its easy, would you mind giving me a breif run thru of the steps?
    as for getting it flush, i think your on track with taking out anything from between where the panel sits on the rails, may be proped up on a washer or something, if not, i dunno about pushing the roof up with stuff.. maybe just try re doing up some of the bolts, so if that lets it drop into place...
    i hope this link works, basically i followed this write-up: http://207.218.250.64/superhonda.com...d.php?t=213452

but i did some steps differently. instead of grinding the two metal bits that stick out, i put tape around them to protect the rest of the roof around them and cut them off with a hacksaw blade. now you have to be careful you dont cut the rubber seal around the edge of the sunroof when cutting these metal bits off. to ensure you dont do this, bow the hacksaw blade between ur fingers, so ur cutting with just the blade, bent so it doesnt cut the seal, its tricky, but not to hard.

i also didnt cut the rubber seal at all, theres no need cos it doesnt interfere with anything. and i put two coats of rust protectant on all bits i cut and then a coat of primer then black paint. i was very anal with rust protection considering the 4th gen sunroof!

also, i didnt drill the holes in the 4th gen brackets, i used a round file to extend the inner holes into slots, it took longer but its more controlled and not happening to quickly, so you can sculpt the holes.

the seal around the 5th gen moonroof is thicker than that of the 4th gen roof, however i still dont think this is the reason it sits to high. i dont wana put the seal from my 4th gen roof on the 5th gen moonroof cos its shitty, the 5th gen seal is in much better condition.

i think with the washers, ur meant to put them on the back part of the sunroof brackets to lower the front, however i think this would raise the back.

Generation
    4th Generation
    Model
    S
    Hey just wonderin if you have any pics of the final product an also give a ruff guide to the price someone would be lookin at for the 5th gen moonroof?

Also that link didnt work for me?

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Flying Broomstick
    i bent my brackets for the sunroof to sit lower, the only other way is to place a few washers in between the roof and the main sunroof mechanism.
    Imitation is the best form of flattery

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Nissan Sextrail ST
    Quote Originally Posted by !JonZap! View Post
    i bent my brackets for the sunroof to sit lower, the only other way is to place a few washers in between the roof and the main sunroof mechanism.
    roughly where did u bend them? around the middle? i cant see how bending them would help much when the brackets still bolt on at the same 'level', in which case i would have thought bending them would make it worse. did u bend them down as in \/ or up, as in /\ ?

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your glass panel?

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Nissan Sextrail ST
    Quote Originally Posted by bscott View Post
    Hey just wonderin if you have any pics of the final product an also give a ruff guide to the price someone would be lookin at for the 5th gen moonroof?

Also that link didnt work for me?
    pics here. the glass panel cost me $220 from imlachs auto in melb. i got the whole damn roof, it was like a big metal surround and motor for the roof, i had to unbolt the glass bit from it. btw, i didnt pay shipping cos my parents were in melb last weekend and picked it up for me

its really good how when u get it installed it doesnt look agricultural from the inside, these plastic bits from the 5th gen moonroof cover up the nuts and it all looks neat.

so did u end up getting it to sit flush? i got mine installed... front is sitting high

if u did get it to sit flush... wat steps did u take?

also does the bump stops really interfere with anything?

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Quote Originally Posted by 16OTH View Post
    out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your glass panel?
    yea how much? im thinkin of doin this too
    и иє kиωs мy sтяuggℓє, тнєy иℓy sєє тнє тяuвℓє

Generation
    4th Generation
    it looks great myn sits exactly like lude dudes this is the only pic i du find of myn but as u can see the sunroof is vented at the time lol

nice car =)

i think everyone is having this problem

o well.. im learning to live with it so far

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Nissan Sextrail ST
    i never got mine flush, unlike the toilet.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Vti-r
    Yeah my friend and I both changed ours, exact same problem. Still looks better than rusty metal by far.