Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Looks like a good deal. It's good that they specifically say that it's ADR approved. I also like the fact that they have a PVC sleeve over the SS braid, that will stop debris from getting into the braid and cutting into the telfon inner tube.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    I ended up buying a set of those Hel lines.. They should be here early this week

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I hate to dig up an old thread but it seemed more appropriate than starting a new one. I've been looking into braided brake lines for a little while and can't come to a decision. There seem to be two types commonly available now, with regular steel fittings (either plated or painted) or with stainless fittings. Here's what I've found so far through various sources, prices include delivery.

APP stainless - $340
    Project Mu stainless $340ish
    Kinokuni stainless - $290
    Project Mu steel - $270
    APP steel - $240
    Kinokuni steel - $220
    Goodridge stainless - $170
    HEL stainless - $160
    Goodridge steel - $160

All of the lines listed appear to use a Teflon hose wrapped in braided stainless with a PVC sheath outside that. The PVC outer would hopefully prevent dirt getting into the braid which was a problem with the older styles.

According to my research, the ADR's changed a few years ago (with the new ADR 42, possibly back in '05) so now any line that complies with SAA, SAE, BS, JIS, DIN, ISO or ECE Standards, or FMVSS 106 are fine here too. This means nothing to me because the Prelude is no longer road registered but might be useful for others to know. If anyone is looking at these then it would be worthwhile checking what approvals they comply with.

Anyway, it seems to me the best bang for my buck is still the HEL lines. At around half the cost of the Japanese lines is it really worth the extra cost? I've read some sketchy things about dodgy HEL dealers so I'd be buying them straight from HEL Australia. Having them made locally is a benefit too, means they're at least in the country already and these come with a lifetime warranty. BTW I'm after braided lines as the rubber can become spongy under sustained heavy braking, I wouldn't consider these on a road car but brake heat management is become an issue on the track.
    Symmons Plains - 1:12.280

Generation
    5th Gen
    I go to my local hosemart and they knock up sets of stainless braided lines to suit my measurements. It's always cheaper than aftermarket and ADR approved too.

The last set I had made up for the front of my Ducati cost $60.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    For what it's worth my Goodridge lines are still going strong. They've passed pit / engineering inspections no issues.
    It's pretty hard to justify shelling out for the fancy Jap spec gear.

Administrator
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I pieced together a set for the fronts years back from extreme motorsport (now called MSA) I think i used the silver series speed flow fittings with their teflon coated braided line. Not one single issue what so ever. I love them and they are not showing any signs of giving up any time soon

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Thanks for the input guys, good to know the Goodridge lines last the test of time. I've seen a few guys in the UK using those for years with no issues. Unfortunately for me there is only one place nearby that makes custom brake lines and they are not what I'd call professional.

Just FYI 5h4d0w, the Speedflow stuff looks like it'll do the job but by having olive fittings instead of crimped connections I'm not sure they'd pass inspection with anyone who knows what they're looking at. Have you had any problems with dirt getting in the braid?

So I ordered some HEL lines anyway, paid on Monday night and they arrived on Wednesday morning. They certainly look the part. The lifetime warranty is decent piece of mind too, but still of little help when approaching the wall at a hairpin at 170ish kph if a line goes pop.

Administrator
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    yeah thats correct. They are not an ADR approved line so they wont pass road worthy. No issues with dirt getting into the braid as of yet. or the fittings or anything. quite surprising considering how long they have been on the car for and the amount of dirt the car has been through. How much did the HEL lines cost you? thats a quick turn around time. I'm keen to see your review after some testing.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I'm pretty keen to test them out too. They were only $164.50 delivered (standard express delivery) and they are pretty well constructed. Nice stainless fittings and the finishing of them looks really professional.

I was a little disappointed when I went to install them though. For one the mounts are plastic, I would have been happy to pay a few $$ extra for metal brackets. I suspect they are like this as the line can move freely in the mounts so they would be plastic as not to damage the sheath with movement. On the front lines there is a two hole bracket and a single hole bracket, but these were reversed between the stock lines and the new ones. I managed to make it work but I was hoping to not have to use zipties to attach them to the coilovers again. On the rears I wasn't happy with the kink that ended up in the line using the stock mounting location on the knuckle so again, zipties. More significantly the lines are an inch or two longer than the stock ones where for a lowered car I would have liked them to have been a bit shorter, due to the larger bending radius than the rubber lines I had to fiddle around with the twist of the lines a few times to make sure they wouldn't rub on anything. Still, if they don't leak or swell then I'll be more than happy.

Administrator
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    oh dam! thats quite surprising! I have played around with some ADR approved lines for the rears in previous years and i actually had the same issue with the mounts and the kink. It didnt cause and other issues but it was a little too tight and not a full smooth flow like i would have liked. I have noted though that the plastic surround can start to loosen aftersome time. i could imagine it woule perish eventually but then what?

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    my SS are still good as well.... no issues whatsoever
    ------------------------------------
    Winton : 1:48.2
    Sandown : 1:38.3