Generation
    3rd Gen

manual transmission problem

Hi All,
    I seem to have a problem shifting into 2nd gear sometimes. It does not crunch, it just seems to be hard to pop it into gear. It is especially noticeable when downshifting gears (ie when i go from 3rd down to second) and at higher vehicle speeds (ie. if i am at the lights and push the clutch in it glides in smoothly with almost no resistance, if the car is moving and i try to shift it into second it is more difficult).

After a quick search on google i have heard that this may just mean either lubrication problems in the transmission or the linkage needs adjustment. I know it is not the lubrication as the transmission fluid was changed 2 weeks ago and i used honda MTF as recommended.
    Could it be the synchro's? or is it just a linkage adjustment?
    what would be the cost of either of these fixes (or any other suggested problem)?

regards,
    gerzod.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    The syncros on second gear are typically the first to go as these are used more frequently.
    MTF is the great stuff. So if thats what you are using rule out the oil.

Are there problems shifting into any other gears? or just 2nd.

What you are experiencing sounds pretty normal though. Does it get easier as the grearbox warms up?

Generation
    3rd Gen
    (edit) i dont think it is affected by being cold as just now when coming home from work (it is cold atm) the second gear was pretty good. The problem is just in second gear and only requires decent force to shift when downshifting into second.
    Last edited by gerzod; 18th May 2007 at 07:04 PM.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Model
    Si 4ws
    im having the same problems with my manual transmission, i have it booked in with honda this wednesday, so i tell what they find with my car.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    XX 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    What you are experiencing sounds pretty normal though. Does it get easier as the grearbox warms up?
    mine does that all the time when the car's cold but then it goes away when it warms up, and my gearbox has been recently rebuilt so its in pretty good nick, i wouldnt worry bout it too much

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Yeah mine does it too but it's just that it's cold or the oil isn't being surculated probably through the gears. But I wouldn't worry, I have it when my car is cold, once it's warmed it's fine. I had my gearbox checked by a mechanic, all good.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Funny, my 3rd gen auto when it was cold wouldn't change into 2nd when it was cold! *i hate winter*