DOH23aC

Unhappy Idling/Stalling Issues

First, hello, I am brand new here. I have been having an issue recently after having my timing belt slip a notch and stall out the car. Once it was fixed, the idle has been very rough. Often stalling, or dropping very low. Adjusting screw maxes out at 600rpm, idle continues to be very rough. Without IACV, car just stalls, virtually no idle at all. Coming down from revs while driving, it will sometimes stall. I tried to check for vaccum leaks with carb cleaner spraying into the intake only to have it stall even quicker. It's just been extremely irritating and somewhat dangerous (say TRYING to idle off offramps). Plus my car seems to like to choose when it wants to restart...a lot of times after it stalls it takes at least 20 seconds before it will restart, although this has been a problem a lot longer that I can live with if the car will just stop stalling. Honda could find no real reason why it would happen, all they suggested was the usual changing parts (which I did) and valve adjustment (which I can't fathom why would be related). Thanks in advance. P.S. compression all checked out @ 185x3 & 190

spiffyguido
    Rough idle? It could be that your timing is way off. If your timing belt slipped a notch, are you sure it was put back together properly? Also, did your valvetrain sustain any damages?

Assuming your IACV system is running correctly, you may also want to check your coolant temp sensor, it affects idle speed.

So others can better help you....what engine is in the car? H22? H23? F22?

DOH23aC
    Timing was reset. Mechanic did a compress. test to check for valve damage. H23

spiffyguido
    Are your fuel pump and injectors working well?

Oh, and this is going to seem like a stupid question, but are all your spark plugs properly hooked up. An engine running on only three cylinders idles like crap.

Project_H23a1

Idle

I've had a H23a1 and H23A motors in my Lude and had the same issues that you are talking about before and after the swap. I too have done a comp. check and valve adjustment so the motor checks out fine. I changed the flywheel and timing belt when I got the motor swapped so that is on point too. Also, I checked the idle screw and that wasn't helping anything. You know...I really don't know why mine is stalling out either. Sometimes my car has problems starting up totally and I just have to try every 30 sec. for a couple minutes until it starts. When it stalls, I can restart it quickly though. If you figure anything out please let me know!

DOH23aC
    Actually I went back to the dealership today and they said it was probably like 95% chance that it was at least one set of bent valves keeping the chamber from sealing properly. They said (and I'm still kind of confused about this) that a compression check would not reveal this issue, and only a leakdown test (which I have yet to invest 112 dollars into) would pinpoint if it is a valve problem. So hey, if I or you get to it first let me know or I'll let you know 'cause I'm tapped out at the moment.