3 PPM Silicon

2 PPM Sodium

341 PPM Calcium

216 PPM Magnesium

6 PPM Phosphorus

318 PPM Zinc

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 50.1

Flashpoint: 380 Degrees F

Basically, Honda ATF is really nothing more that a standard ATF of very high quality.

Now, I also ran a cold weather test on several brands of ATF:

Honda Z1, Mobil 1, Redline D4, Valvoline Syhetic Blend, NAPA ATF

The test temperature was 0 degrees F.

Exactly the same amounts of fluid were placed in teflon specimen containers and frozen for 2 days.

Control containers were left at room temperature.

The results: Only the NAPA brand and Valvoline blend saw significant changes in viscosity.

Interestingly, the Honda ATF was slightly thicker than normal, but other wise fine. The difference was slight.

The same can be said for the rest of the samples.

The only conclusion I can arrive at is that cold weather must be extreme to effect any of the fluids.

Common Sense
    are you a scientist graduated from MIT? lol you seem really smart.. mad props for researching ATF.. how old are you?

gerhard
    Originally posted by KrN LuDe@Oct 16 2002, 09:13 PM
    are you a scientist graduated from MIT? lol you seem really smart.. mad props for researching ATF.. how old are you?
    Ok, you're going to love this:

I'm an ex-Air Force electronics technition that worked at the Pentagon for the National Security Agency.

I then got out, went and got a pre-med degree, and then desided that medical school was not looking good...

During that time I worked in laboratory and got familiar with nifty little things like Plasma Spectrometers, HPLC's, etc...

[Used to use the isolation hoods to culture yeast to brew beer, and the spectrometer to tell how much ethanol was in it...]

However, being broke sucked, so I got a degree in Computer Science.

Found an internship and started make lots of cash.

The market took a dive, people started to get laid off, and I ended up working at a University. (Money not a good...but I get a lot of time off! 45 days a year...)

So you are kinda right... I am a Professor of sorts that runs the eCommerce environment for the School of Computer Science and Information Systems at Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Yes, I'm familiar with the Scientific Method... and a few others (or so my fiance tells me... -grin-)

Now a days I just send most of the stuff out to a lab for analysis...

-Gerhard

Last edited by gerhard at Oct 16 2002, 09:31 PM

JDMet2
    And now he has to kill you for telling you this :o

solojam
    I've always said Gerhard was the man!

solojam
    oh ya its spelt "technician" Gerhard.

I only let is slide this time tho professor.

solojam
    Gerhard how did you get the NSA gig? Thats a pretty sick gig.

Common Sense
    Originally posted by solojam@Oct 16 2002, 11:19 PM

haha i noticed that.. also.. it's "decided" not desided =)

im only a senior at high school.. (btw i got my lude in my junior year) and a few months ago, i got a letter from fairleigh dickinson university sayin they give alotta schorlarship so i might be interested.. but im thinking about going somewhere else.. B) how do you like that school? and.. you didn't answer my question. how old are you?

modogg85
    Gerhard,
    with the honda Z1 is that a fully synthetic fluid, or is it a blend, or standard. would this fluid help with the SS transmission, or is the best way right now with the 50/50 split of b&m and honda ATF

gerhard
    Originally posted by solojam@Oct 16 2002, 11:20 PM
    Gerhard how did you get the NSA gig? Thats a pretty sick gig.

The Air Force likes people who use their brians. So they sent me to a special school, and then to Washington. The job involved the NSA.

That's it.

That much that I'm going to type here.

gerhard
    Originally posted by solojam@Oct 16 2002, 11:19 PM

PS I can't spell worth a shit... never have been able to... don't generally worry about it. I do, however, then to type really fast and not re-edit my messages...

gerhard
    Originally posted by modogg85@Oct 17 2002, 02:50 AM
    Gerhard,
    with the honda Z1 is that a fully synthetic fluid, or is it a blend, or standard. would this fluid help with the SS transmission, or is the best way right now with the 50/50 split of b&m and honda ATF
    I've got the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the Honda Z1 ATF.

It lists a hydrocracked petolium basestock.

So it's not very likely the Honda ATF is a synthetic blend. If it is, it's as a result of the additive package and not the "base stock" used to make the fluid.

I can tell you that at 0 degrees F it still flows pretty nicely. I'm thinking that I'll have to freeze a bunch of samples at -25 F to see any real issues.

However, the slight change in viscosity does explain why the SS shifts poorly when fairly cold.

I think that mixing Honda ATF with Mobil 1 (50-50 or 2/3-1/3) will give you just enough of an edge to prevent that cold weather shifting issue.

I've not has any issues since using B&M and Mobil 1 (50-50). However, I'm planning on going back to Honda Z1 and Mobil 1 / AMSOIL ATF and running some tests.

gerhard
    Originally posted by KrN LuDe+Oct 17 2002, 12:16 AMQUOTE (KrN LuDe @ Oct 17 2002, 12:16 AM)solojam@Oct 16 2002, 11:19 PM

haha i noticed that.. also.. it's "decided" not desided =)

im only a senior at high school.. (btw i got my lude in my junior year) and a few months ago, i got a letter from fairleigh dickinson university sayin they give alotta schorlarship so i might be interested.. but im thinking about going somewhere else.. B) how do you like that school? and.. you didn't answer my question. how old are you? [/b][/quote]
    I like the School. I think you'll enjoy the Madison Campus of FDU better than the Teaneck / Hackensack Campus. FDU is actually a fun School and it's pretty enjoyable.

I'm 34 years old.

Yeah, I've noticed a few other spelling mistakes... not spell checker, and too tired last night.

-Gerhard

tekwon-V
    hey gerhard...

it's steve... the guy you sent your floormats to!! i thank you so much for them.

as you may/may not know... i have an SS too. my first tranny went out on me @ 17000 and the dealer replaced it underwarranty. i am about to hit 50k soon and it's doing pretty good right now. my first one.... i abused it... severely. but the the "new" one i have now.... i take care of it.

since i got the "new" one.... i got the tranny fluid replaced 2 times(@ 32000 and @ 48000) at a honda dealership. when i go in, i just tell them "i need the tranny fluid replaced".... when they do it... do they change the transmission filter too? prolly not, eh? how often would you recommend changin the tranny fluid?

so the next time i go in... i will bring my own B&M trickshift fluid and have them do the job. i usually work on my car. i dont mind an oil change... but i dont like doin fluid jobs(brakefluid, tranny)

man... sorry about unorganized post... i gotta get some sleep

gerhard
    Originally posted by tekwon-v@Oct 23 2002, 12:52 AM
    hey gerhard...

it's steve... the guy you sent your floormats to!! i thank you so much for them.

as you may/may not know... i have an SS too. my first tranny went out on me @ 17000 and the dealer replaced it underwarranty. i am about to hit 50k soon and it's doing pretty good right now. my first one.... i abused it... severely. but the the "new" one i have now.... i take care of it.

since i got the "new" one.... i got the tranny fluid replaced 2 times(@ 32000 and @ 48000) at a honda dealership. when i go in, i just tell them "i need the tranny fluid replaced".... when they do it... do they change the transmission filter too? prolly not, eh? how often would you recommend changin the tranny fluid?

so the next time i go in... i will bring my own B&M trickshift fluid and have them do the job. i usually work on my car. i dont mind an oil change... but i dont like doin fluid jobs(brakefluid, tranny)

man... sorry about unorganized post... i gotta get some sleep
    The Honda dealer wil NOT use the B&M SYNTHETIC Trick Shift ATF.

(If you use Trick Shift - The bottle must be silver and it MUST say synthetic Trick Shift.)

If you car is a 2000 or 2001 or if you have the extended warranty.... don't use the B&M product, stick with Honda ATF.

Really.

If the even suspect you've used some elses fluid your never get any warranty work on the transmission.

So I think there is a problem with B&M ATF... not... but, Honda is just looking for reasons to screw people.

If you are not going to change the fuild yourself, then just use the Honda ATF.

-Gerhard