ll sHpReLuDe ll

turbo, engine overheating

my engine keeps overheating, whenever i boost, the temp rises, its has a spearco intercooler. The turbo kits is great, just my engine is crap. bout to rip the turbo and sell it, i havent even driven it for 100 miles. my engine is too old, and cant deal with messing around with it for now. (hard college). ill rebuild it after college and turbo it again. then again ill get an M3. The lude is really fast, but bringing it to the shop to tweak with it is a little anoying. what should i check if the engine is overheating

js_vtec

Re: turbo, engine overheating

If your engine is overheating, maybe your radiator is too old and you have corrosion inside it. If you want a temporary fix, try to remove your A/C radiator, the goal is to improve your air flow troughout your rad.

You can also try to run your engine only with water (if the season allow you to do it) If you're willing to try different things, you could also try ton change your rad fan and/or motor to increase your air flow. Remove your platic guards under your engine bay to allow air to go out more easily.

But there's no magic solution if your rad shows too much wear....

01SH

try some water wetter if you're not already using it

SikLudeSH

Alot of people with boost (including me) upgrade the fans to more cfm like FAL or SPAL. Are you still using both the stock fans? Usualy at least one of the fans has to be removed to make room for the turbo and you must replace it somehow.

ll sHpReLuDe ll

ya im runing only one fan, one was removed to make space for the cone filter. am i going to run into problems? ima college student, broke with a turbo prelude. if anything breaks im done. i noticed that whenever i drive fast, its cool, but when its go and stop but under 30 mph it heats up. or when im on the highway, when i slow down after going fast it heats. so it must be the radiator. im thinkin about going N/A. what do yall think?

SikLudeSH

Especially if when you drive fast your car cools down, you need a fan. You can get a 10 - 12" fan and mount it on the ac core if there is no room on the radiator.

keahistight

Blowing smoke? Overheating? This reminds me of another thread where some people said you can turbo cheaply. I told you and everyone else in other thread THERE IS NO CHEAP WAY TO TURBO!! You will ALWAYS, ALWAYS run into problems and spend more money than you wanted to. Once again, take what you wanted to spend and double it. That will be the MINIMUM you will spend on your set up. So to those of you who thought it would be cheap ... I stick my toungue out at you

Back to the thread: there is most likely an easy fix for your problem. For your first thread of blowing black smoke it is most likely 1 of 2 problems. The first is that you are having blow by in your cylinder. This is only fixable by a rebuild. The second possibility is that your turbo is having blow by. This is caused by a leaky seal that seperates the hot and cold side of the turbo. If you had the turbo rebuilt this should have been replaced. But, a rebuild is normally 500-800 depending on turbo and if you only paid 150 they skipped some thing on the rebuild. So, I would guess they may have only opened the housing and rebuilt the compressor and didnt touch the core at all. If this is the case, your turbo is probably burning oil which would be the cause of the problem.

For your overheating you should check the radiator. If you pulled fans then thats the source. You need to replace BOTH fans with slim line (like I did as well) or remove the AC. The slim line should be jumped so it will pull at all times. If you have AEM EMS or another good EMS you can jump the fans through the ECU. I lowered the temperature that mine switch on at and set them to run 5 min after the car is turned off. That helped me a lot. The only other problem I can think of besides the radiator is your thermometer. That may be going bad if you have an older car.

ll sHpReLuDe ll

Quote Originally Posted by keahistight
    Blowing smoke? Overheating? This reminds me of another thread where some people said you can turbo cheaply. I told you and everyone else in other thread THERE IS NO CHEAP WAY TO TURBO!! You will ALWAYS, ALWAYS run into problems and spend more money than you wanted to. Once again, take what you wanted to spend and double it. That will be the MINIMUM you will spend on your set up. So to those of you who thought it would be cheap ... I stick my toungue out at you

Back to the thread: there is most likely an easy fix for your problem. For your first thread of blowing black smoke it is most likely 1 of 2 problems. The first is that you are having blow by in your cylinder. This is only fixable by a rebuild. The second possibility is that your turbo is having blow by. This is caused by a leaky seal that seperates the hot and cold side of the turbo. If you had the turbo rebuilt this should have been replaced. But, a rebuild is normally 500-800 depending on turbo and if you only paid 150 they skipped some thing on the rebuild. So, I would guess they may have only opened the housing and rebuilt the compressor and didnt touch the core at all. If this is the case, your turbo is probably burning oil which would be the cause of the problem.

For your overheating you should check the radiator. If you pulled fans then thats the source. You need to replace BOTH fans with slim line (like I did as well) or remove the AC. The slim line should be jumped so it will pull at all times. If you have AEM EMS or another good EMS you can jump the fans through the ECU. I lowered the temperature that mine switch on at and set them to run 5 min after the car is turned off. That helped me a lot. The only other problem I can think of besides the radiator is your thermometer. That may be going bad if you have an older car.
    ive spent 5000$, i didnt go cheap. thanks for the advice.