Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    duron

Knocking in rear suspension

Sup,

I have a 95 Si on which the previous owner had Tokico blue shocks and matching springs. Whenever I go over bumps, it sounds like the rear of the car has metal in the bare trunk bouncing around! A lot of clunk, clunk from both sides. The trunk is stripped to the metal so no loose panels or anything.

Now I have had the entire rear suspension replaced (all control arms, trailing arms etc ) and I have the Energy Suspension HyperFlex kit installed inlcluding the trailing arm bushings. This occurred on the old suspension parts and the new ones. The only thing that was not replaced were the shocks and springs as I figured they were good. The ride is fine and the shocks are non adjustable so....

Does anyone else have this problem with their rear set up. I tried this and it did not help either.

http://www.hondarevolutions.com/lude/prelshok.htm

Duron

duron

Re: Knocking in rear suspension

I know somebody has this.......Anyone????

BigMike12065

I have the same problem, but only on my drivers side in the rear. I'm gonna try using the shims, hopefully they work. At least now you know you're not the only one with this problem.

Lude4life

search "shock knock"

h23a lude

your suspension was just loose. I got know but I'm saving up money for a new suspension.

duron

Actually it is the metal collars in the bushings on the top of each strut. The collars need to be cut a few millimeters. What happens is when the bushing is compressed, the metal collar hit the top strut washer which is also metal. The shim can help by adding more rubber thus when compressed, the collar does not make contact with the top metal washer. I read somewhere that Honda actually sells the shorter collar.

I found this through a lot of searching. Hopefull this helps.

Duron

h23a lude

:bow: this does help, thanks.

duron

No problem

Falude

I just completed the A"shock knock" cure and am very pleased with my $0.50 cure to that annoyance. Thanks!

duron

So what did you exactly do? Use rubber shims, cut the collars or both?

Duron

Falude

I used metal two metal shims

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Hey Guys

This is a 10 year old post on a "shock knock" cure - can anyone give a bit more detail??

Steve
    Eternity - the wrong thing to be wrong about.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Last time I had this problem it was because the suspension was loose, tighten it up
    there should be a nut on your actual strut tower, give that a tighten aswell

Generation
    4th Gen
    The only knocking in the rear of my 4th gen was the rear steering tie rod ball joint on the drivers side, it wiggled about 1mm but made a hell of a noise
    Changed the whole rack, cause can, now i have a spare before they become extinct ahah wiah i had of caught a dinosaur

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Shocking knocking!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew3G View Post
    Last time I had this problem it was because the suspension was loose, tighten it up
    there should be a nut on your actual strut tower, give that a tighten aswell
    OK - I was getting a knock in the RH rear; got worse and worse! Anyway - Rockauto were having a closeout sale on various bits - including rear struts and top mounts. So I ordered a set (both sides) - and they're fitted now. NEXT thing - the noise has moved to the LH rear - this is really ticking me off!

Now I'm thinking of getting all the bushes from SuperPro here - anyone done this for the rear only and have a ballpark $$$ figure??

Steve
    Eternity - the wrong thing to be wrong about.