crazy93si

1992-1996 (4th Gen) Volt Gauge Install

1992-1996 Prelude (4th gen) Volt Gauge Install
    I am not responsible for anything that might negatively affect your car throughout this install. You take the inherent risks of doing this yourself.

Ok, so many people look into installing gauges in "custom" places, what is more custom than a gauge placed in the cigarette outlet area? Anyways, I am a non smoker as it is, so I do not need the cigarette lighter, so this seemed like a good option, and gets a lot of attention. Plus it will teach you how to wire a volt gauge:

Materials
    1. Volt Gauge
    2. Wire (I used 16 gauge wire)

Tools
    1. Wire cutters/strippers
    2. Soldering Iron
    3. Dremel
    4. Flat Black Spray Paint

Shall we begin
    Do not worry about these steps if you are only installing the volt gauge, but not into your console

1. Take your Console apart.
    You should know how to do this, but if you dont, there are about 4 screws for the arm rest console area, and about 6 for the shifter bezel, then 4 for the actual stereo bezel, remove all of these and then remove the stereo bezel completely. Disconnect all stereo and lighter harnesses

Take out the cigarette lighter assembly
    It should simply unscrew from the stereo bezel

Dremel out the volt gauge hole
    Remember, Measure twice, cut once. If it is a 2 inch gauge, then measure about 1.75 inches and then cut a hole around that line. Then slowly dremel out more until you can force the gauge into place. It should fit very snug and hold it in.

Prep and put in the gauge
    Now that you have the hole dremeled, paint the gauge sides black, because when you sink the gauge into your stereo bezel, some of the sides will be showing, and you want to hide this as much as possible. Now place in your gauge

Volt Gauge Actual Install:

Cutting the Wires
    Since you do not need your cig. lighter wires anymore, you can use them. There should be three, as follows:

White/Blue: your constant 12v power
    Red (attached to a bulb): Light
    Black: ground

cut and splice these wires

Now run and attach new lengths of wires to these newly cut wires and your volt gauge
    There should be 3 prongs on your volt guage, it will say "Light" "GRND" and "12V" or something of the sort. Connect the Red wire to the Light area, the Black to the Ground, and the power to the 12v.....

Now just reassemble your dash!

Now you have installed a volt gauge, in a custom place, and it's back light will turn on when you turn your lights on! Congrats! :tup:

Evan
    (Crazy93si)
    March, 05, 2005

the write up king

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    thats pretty hardcore.
    i was actually thinking of doing a volt meter as my next mod, as i have been going to the drive in movies latley, and to hear the movie, you tune your stereo into the stations..thus leave your radio running for a good 90mins..

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by xmkydx
    thats pretty hardcore.
    i was actually thinking of doing a volt meter as my next mod, as i have been going to the drive in movies latley, and to hear the movie, you tune your stereo into the stations..thus leave your radio running for a good 90mins..
    u can buy the kits from jaycar for 30 bucks if u want to make one urself if ur capable, i was thinkin bout taking out the ashtray cause i dont smoke n making something for there with an A/F meter from jaycar as well
    www.cruisingbrisbane.com
    Quote Originally Posted by peejayy View Post
    god dang. Just vtec'd in my pants.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Better than a volt gauge is an Amp gauge...

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R
    You cannot put a meter across a batter and find out how many amper-hours it has in it. All you can do is measure the amount of outgoing amps from your battery, but while the alternator is on you may get weird-ass results. I dunno, I'm no auto-electrician.
    AMPERAGE

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    i'm not talking about amperhours i'm talking about straight up amps...

while the alternator is running you should get a constant amp reading...