mike32526

Sunroof Replacement

Anyone got detailed instructions on replacing the "metal" sunroof part on a 95 Si?
    Thanks in advance ,
    Mike

HYBRID 93

Re: Sunroof Replacement

i know you have to take the interior parts out to get to it from the inside

ESedulerp5Tenin

gonna do the 5th gen glass sunroof replacement??

redracer

I threw together a zip-file of all the info from the Helms on how to do this. Be easiest to let me email it to you, rather than post it here. It's 8 pages and I've got them zipped up. Lemme know what you wanna do.

Josh

mike32526

you can send it via email to UWF29@hotmail.com.
    awesome car you have dude, nice and clean.
    did you use the factory wiring to install the foglights or run wires and switch yourself?
    i am wanting to install foglights, but not sure if it is just as easy to use the existing wires or run my own, any thoughts?
    i have a feeling the sunroof panel replacement is going to be a job..LOL.....

thanks
    Mike

redracer

Thanks for the comps.

I ran my own wiring and my own switch into the console. Found it much easier that way.

Sunroof panel is not that hard, it's getting the clearances and the tightness right when you get it back together that is the pain. Are you just replacing a rusted panel with a new one or are you trying to put in the 5th gen glass roof?

Do you have a good image viewer for looking at jpg files? if not, the fastest and easiest is irfan view. Free, easy to use and will help you manipulate these images so you can use them easy.

http://www.irfanview.com/ just go to the download page and select a site.

I've sent the file to your hotmail. Lemme know if you don't get it for some reason.

Josh

mike32526

i have not gotten the email yet. maybe the file was too large for hotmail, who knows.. you can send it to UWF29@bellsouth.net if you don't mind.
    i am replacing the roof panel due to rust. i was unaware that i could put a different type in it. i would like a glass one, or so i think i might anyways.,...LOL.

kb7709

Just a thought, but they have the inside covers on glass roofs for a reason. In the summer, there's a lot of heat and it can make the car really hard to cool if you live where there's much sunshine. Although, I don't know if it's possible to have the inside panel when you install a 5th gen glass roof, it seems unlikely. I used to have a Corvette with both the glass and hard panel roofs. I used the hard one in the summer because of the heat.

redracer

Quote Originally Posted by kb7709
    Just a thought, but they have the inside covers on glass roofs for a reason. In the summer, there's a lot of heat and it can make the car really hard to cool if you live where there's much sunshine. Although, I don't know if it's possible to have the inside panel when you install a 5th gen glass roof, it seems unlikely. I used to have a Corvette with both the glass and hard panel roofs. I used the hard one in the summer because of the heat.
    I just emailed him about that glass sunroof. Yes, it has been done with a 5G roof, and no, it doesn't have a sunshade, there's nowhere in the roof for it to slide into. That would suck, all glass, no shade = Hot car and burned head. Also, the glass is heavier, I wouldn't trust it to be as tight and solid nor would I think the extra weight would be good on the motor, assembly and rails. Also from what I have heard it sits higher than metal and you have to bring it down and shim it in place to fit right. Too much effort and trouble, in my opinion.

mike32526

I GOT IT IN !! Thanks Josh, your instructions was all it took , and about an hour. Simple job. Would be nice to have the glass sunroof, but living in sunny Florida would be a pain without a removable cover for the sun.
    Thanks for everyones input.

redracer

No problems then eh? Good! Glad it worked. Now when I have to do mine (which I hope is never) you can come up and do it for me! heh.

Didn't know those instructions came with a caveat did ya?

Josh