Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Ludeochris

Q & A - Wheel/tire Fitments

This is the official 5th Generation Honda Prelude Wheel/Tire/Suspension Fitment thread.

Have a setup in mind? Want to know if it works/doesnt/rubs? POST HERE.

Have a setup currently that works/doesnt/rubs? POST HERE.

This is a better way to organize everybodys info/misconceptions on the suspensions of the 5th gens. Once again this is a fifth gen thread.
    Any inputs, findings, or references are welcome.

Here is the 5th Gen Wheel & Tire Guide Please read it before asking questions.

Ludeochris

Re: 5thGEN WHEEL/TIRE/SUSPENSION FITMENTS & SETUPS POST all Q's and A's here

OK so let me go first.....

I have a 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH. Since its hard to find or figure out which companies make lowering springs that are wound to SH spec to fit my SH shocks I decided to swap out my shocks for base shocks and base springs to avoid the headaches. I went with some
    KYB Adjustable shocks so I could change my suspension to suit the current use. I also bought some H&R sport springs (1.4 est. drop) for look and performance. I have 18x7.5 ADR fuels (+42 offset) and have not installed them yet. I wanted to get some input on tire size or even if this would work at all. My main goal is to avoid rub entirely.

Any input is welcome.
    pics are also great.....

Thanks

joedaddy

Wheel size: 17x7 42mm
    Tires: 215/40/17
    Suspension: 1. Eibach Prokits & Koni Yellows (~1.75" drop) & 2. Stock Springs & Yellows (~.6" drop)
    Rubbing: First setup (prokit, yellow, ingall camber kit)...definite rubbing during U-Turns, hard cornering..
    rubbing on dips, speedbumps etc...worst with people in the back seat...
    Second setup (stock springs & yellows): no rubbing on U turns and hard cornering...minor rub on dips when wheel is turned...might be due to offset and "soft" springs...liveable...

IF I Could do it all over...17x7 48mm, 205/45/17, .5" drop

joedaddy

1st one is Eibach and Yellow on 17" 215/40/17
    2nd one is Eibach, stock shocks, and stock rim and tires
    edit...no attachments?! and i can't delete this message?
    someone delete this

bpwatts78

Skunk2 Coilovers (lowered about 2.5")
    KYB AGX Adjustable Struts
    Stock rims as using anything higher than 16 will significantly alter gearing. performance, and wear
    2 AVS ES100 in the front (215/50/16)
    2 Kumho 712s worn down a bit in the back for drifting/autocross (205/50/16)

No rubbing anywhere, car is geared for autocross/track running. Struts are set as: fronts on 2 for normal driving, 3 on race day. Backs are always on 4.

00MugenLude

Wheel size: 18x7.5 42mm
    Tires: 215/40/18 Yokahama Parada Spec II
    Suspension 1: Stock
    Rubbing: rubbed...like crazy, even under acceleration, front and rear.
    Suspension 2: Mugen (1" drop)
    Rubbing: less rubbing but still rubbed when cornering (even slow) and rubbed when I hit dips in the road.

***Fender modification is necessary to run this setup. Although minor, fender roll and fender liner tuck, is necessary and doesn't completely eliminate rubbing.*** Still rubs, nowhere near as bad, on the inner fender liner especially with 2 people in the car.

My opinion, 40s are too tall unless your willing to make them fit better.

TrueBlueLude

17x7 42mm
    215/40/17 Conti's - ContiExtremeContact
    Stock Suspension.

I Havent put them on the lude yet, but I'm sure there wont be any rubbing at all considering the wheel/tire size and not being lowered.

Was possibly considering Tein H-tech springs---.8" drop in the front, .7" in the back. I dont know if they'd rub or not--any info on this is appreciated in case i do decide to go with them.

00Mugenlude - You're setup rubbed less after a 1" drop?

soccer3303

Tein Basic: -.5 to -2.5 inches
    Wheels: 17x7 +48
    Tires: Yokohama Parada Spec-2

I rub sometimes under hard cornering. Only in the back and it is very mild.

typeshprelude98

I have a 98 sh... I am thinking really hard on getting new rims.....motegi mr7's or rev boost or a set of buddy club if I could get my hands on them....all of these rims come in a 17 inch with an offset of 42..... What would be a good suspension setup for this combo....(tires I want to go with are Yokohama Parada Spec II) I have heard good things on the koni Yellow's (are these adjustable?) and eibach prokit......will I need to get a camber kit for this setup....I honestly dont want a huge drop I just want something a little stiffer for running in the twisties..Thanks for all the help

xpreludex29x

Quote Originally Posted by bpwatts78
    Skunk2 Coilovers (lowered about 2.5")
    KYB AGX Adjustable Struts
    Stock rims as using anything higher than 16 will significantly alter gearing. performance, and wear
    2 AVS ES100 in the front (215/50/16)
    2 Kumho 712s worn down a bit in the back for drifting/autocross (205/50/16)

No rubbing anywhere, car is geared for autocross/track running. Struts are set as: fronts on 2 for normal driving, 3 on race day. Backs are always on 4.
    do you have any pics of your set up? i was thinkin of getting the skunk 2's .. do you recommend them? and the shocks, How are they , ? Thanks

00MugenLude

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueLude
    00Mugenlude - You're setup rubbed less after a 1" drop?
    Weird I know. I think it has to do with the Mugen suspension being stiffer and having less suspension travel. I thought I was screwed because I already had the Mugen sus in my garage and I thought there was no way the combo would work. The sus was more of a priority so I put it on anyway. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised and was able to get the combo to work for the street.

TrueBlueLude

Oh ok, i see. When i read that i was a little confused. I agree with the suspension being more of a priority--glad to see it worked out for you.

Brys98H22A4Lude

hey guys was up..i have a 98 lude and i just puchased teins super street and kumho ECSTA Supra 712,--215-50-vr16,does anyone here thinks that was a bad idea,when its installed i will def let u guys know how my ride is..other than that i really think teins is the way to go sk out there web site..After driving my boys accord with the basic dampering kit, i am totally convinced that teins are the suspension of the year! later guys..

gticl

SUS: Tein SS 1.5-.14 drop
    Tire: Parada Spec II 205-45-17 offset: +45

No rub at all after I put Neuspeed front strut tower bar and rear Tanabe tower bar on. (cost less than $200 in total). Anti-Sway bar sometimes helps as well.

PreludeLikeWhoa

Tokico Hp Shocks & Springs (1.5 front, 2.0 back)
    Tenzo RS5 (18x7.5)
    Tires (215/35/18) Nitto Neo Gen

i have like a inch gap from the tires to the fender so i dont rub to often.