PDA

View Full Version : tyre replacement dillemma

gerzod
9th May 2007, 02:58 PM
I am in a dillemma on what to do with my tyres.
The tyres arent the greatest around (silverstones, they came with the car), but they still have most of the tread on them. Well except for my rear drivers tyre which only has ~30% tread!
this is hella annoying as i dont want to replace all four as the other 3 tyres still have ~75% tread so i dont want to replace all four as its sort of a waste. BUt i dont want a single tyre with 30% tread!
I dont want to only replace the rears either as i have been told this isnt a good idea.

Any recommendations?
do you think i will get anything for my tyres with 75% tread if i get a new set (trade in)?

I was thinking of switching the 2 rear tyres but not sure if thats a good idea.

16OTH
9th May 2007, 03:01 PM
I would buy 2 new ones, get them put on your front, and have your 2 front tyres rotated to the rear, quite a common practice. that way you will have 100% tread on the fronts, and 75% on the rears

Jimmythebum
9th May 2007, 03:08 PM
Do you really need new tyres?? If they have 75% tread on them are you really pushing your tyres to the limit so you can feel that.

But newho your choice, this is what to do if you wanna cure the guilt. Go to a nice private piece of tarmac, pull up the handbrake, rev your lil engine, drop the clutch and smoke out the shite out of the tyres. After a few mintues check to see how much tread is left and voila when there's no tread left you'll have had 10 minutes of fun and will now need new tyres hence no guilt.

dWn_bOi
9th May 2007, 03:13 PM
balled tyres on the rear are jst as dangerous as on the front!!

thats what helped me get my burnout fine!!! and u can feel the balled tyres when driving in water, soOo much worse then usual.

i'd buy a whole new set n sell the old ones to a vl commodore driver, they need all the tyres they can get

euro_z
9th May 2007, 03:24 PM
i was in a similar situation yesterday, 3 good tyres and one bald one, i was ganna just get that one tyre replaced (was willing to spend around 170$ for it) but the tyre place had some for 101$ fitted, so i got both my front tyres done :)
it was raining a bit yesterday and i was surprized that even cheap tyres could make that much difference in grippage! seriously in the wet before ive had buses out accelerate me lol couldnt get grip for sh!t

get 2 new ones and put the 2 best old ones on the back

Bob
9th May 2007, 03:29 PM
The question is why?

Do you have uneven tyre wear.
Sounds like you need a decent wheel alignment first.

If you don't like the tyres then by all means get new ones.
If you want to keep them. Swap the rear tyres over to encourage more wear on the other rear tyre, keep the worn tyre on the back.

dWn_bOi
9th May 2007, 04:32 PM
when i bought my car, it came with uneven tyres, i couldnt belive it the tight ass gave me a bald tyre!

Veilside
9th May 2007, 08:15 PM
how do you lose so much tread just one one tyre.. must have been swapped from the front and treated rather badly by the previous owner or urself ;) to get such wear on one tire.. yeah you should really get the fronts put on the back and get new tires as you really don't want to get defected or crash..

lol Euroz i found i have the same problem and i have alot of tread left on all four tires... either the road was just really really greasy (hadn't rained in like a month or two) or no idea... but i could barely take off and god help me if i was dumb enough to sit on the white line....

Though sitting at 3krpm in second and planting it to get instand wheel spin and little to know acceleration was fun hehe scared the cars infront though lol

The Lude
9th May 2007, 09:32 PM
don't put the 75%s on the back, get all your tires done.

Dont mess about here because that rubber is what keeps you alive, and putting the worst rubber in the set at the back means you are going to have unpredictable handling and the back end will come round easier than the front can slip. sure its 75% now but time will change that. Get new tyres and a wheel alignment, then you have a nice fun and safe vehicle.

gerzod
10th May 2007, 09:57 AM
Dillemma solved, im booked in to get a new full set of bridgeston potenza G3's and allignment at that total tyre place in oakleigh (read it was a good place in another post).

gerzod
12th May 2007, 08:37 PM
Just got a full set of potenza G3's and and 4WS allignment from total tyres in oakleigh. I must say i am extremely satisfied. They definetely knew what they were on about with regards to 4WS and their service was the best ive had for any automotive service. The tyres were extremely well priced (the best out of any place id got a quote from) and their 4WS allignment was only $66 which was cheaper than beaurepairs and bob-jane (which apparently dont know how to do it well) and sure as hell beat paying thee $250 honda wanted.

Ontop of that they told me to book in for a free checkup in 4000-6000km to make sure everything was good.

Just thought i would let you all know incase anyone was looking for a place like that. Im definetely gonna go there for a quote for some new shocks i need too.

Oh and btw thanks for all the tyre advice, the G3's are fantastic, feels like im driving on rails :)

Regards,
gerzod

rogue_mc
12th May 2007, 11:08 PM
lol good stuff mate.... the g3s are great! Good choice =)

bigteethygrin
12th May 2007, 11:12 PM
so how'd ya get it to the shop??

gerzod
14th May 2007, 12:18 AM
? wat u mean? drove it lol