PDA

View Full Version : how do i get my shocks out?

d_soljah
1st May 2007, 05:58 PM
i have a 89 3rd gen how do i get the shocks totally out, i know there is a nut on the top in the boot but it doesnt come off! it turns but doesnt unscrew!!
any ideas on how i get the nut off ?
thanks!

-dB-
1st May 2007, 06:32 PM
when im removing my shocks the top nuts are the last thing i undo, start from under the car.

-=AndyV=-
1st May 2007, 08:00 PM
im not sure about 3rd gens but ok this is how the shocky removal on my n15 pulsar was and i imagine they are simmilar

- take off wheels
- undo the 2 bolts holding the disc to the shocky base
- disconnect the clip holding the brake line to the shocky
- last undo the 3 nuts at the top in the engine bay..
- pull the shocky out and remember how the top went in, dont break any gaskets. make sure you put it in the same way you took it out.

dont forget to get a wheel alignment after.

hope it helps

The Lude
1st May 2007, 11:27 PM
well dunno if they continued this from 3rd to 5th gens, but this is how i did mine

-paint one of the top nuts on the top mounts, so you dont forget which way it goes in.
-loosen bolts on top mount
-take wheel off and loosen base bolt as andy said^
-in my prelude you cannot take this bolt out, so you have to get someone to put all their weight onto the brake disc while you pull the bottom of the strut forward, and bring the whole thing out on an angle.

hopefully that made sense :)

EDIT: forgot to add, there should be 3 bolts on your top mount, two on the side and one on the very top, dont touch the one on the very top untill you have removed your shocks from the car, as it will just spin around. To get this off you have to compress your springs then take the bolt off with an allen key/spanner combo.

d_soljah
1st May 2007, 11:30 PM
i only need 2 get the spring off! is there a way to do it where i can just have the top out so i can just pull the spring off then put another one on there?

-=AndyV=-
2nd May 2007, 12:52 AM
hehehe nar mate... you need to take each shocky out and use spring clamps to clamp the coil...

these are available from supercheap auto under the TFT range of specialty products.

make sure the top part of the shocky goes on exactly as it came off because i had to do the fronts on the pulsar twice as i had like a 1cm diff in the rubbers and was making noise...

do it once and do it properly

Bob
2nd May 2007, 01:25 AM
Have a read through here

http://www.preludeaustralia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27982&highlight=spring

Flipmods
2nd May 2007, 10:54 AM
I suggest you don't do it yourself the first time cause it sounds like you will be getting into more trouble. Get it done proffesionally unless you read bobs instructions and feel very confident in doing it.

d_soljah
2nd May 2007, 11:10 AM
i know how to do it just im not 100% about it i just wanted to make sure i was going in the right direction with it, but i think ill get midas to do it for me!