PDA

View Full Version : Lowering 5th gen

Geraus
7th February 2007, 09:58 PM
Im goin to get my car lowered next week.. Well this is a dumb question.. Lowering my car.. what will the mechanic do? would he just get springs? and put them on? and just say when i have my springs on.. for the future will i be able to put on sports suspension? for better handling? or would i need to remove my lowered springs?

typevu
7th February 2007, 10:29 PM
Well since you dont know what your doing he'll most likely just change springs to something aftermarket... if not then I'm guess he'll be compressing your stock springs? either way your stock shocks, if you dont have aftermarket shocks, will wear out faster.

Geraus
7th February 2007, 10:43 PM
na im not gona get them compressed.. would king springs be good?

typevu
7th February 2007, 10:50 PM
Not goooood good but they'll be good if you want it lowered and not worry bout the shocks for another year or two. You get what you pay for and $300-$400 for lowered springs alone isnt going to be something as good as springs+shocks combo fo about $1000 or coilovers for about $1300 to $1600+

Geraus
8th February 2007, 01:15 PM
wots a good brand of coilovers?

typevu
8th February 2007, 02:38 PM
tein, tanabe, skunk2, konig.........etc

Geraus
8th February 2007, 03:19 PM
I found skunk2 COILOVERS..
http://www.skunk2.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=COV

517-05-0700
1992-01 PRELUDE(ALL MOEDLS)
$338.02

Would this one be good?

aznkim
8th February 2007, 03:22 PM
BC coilovers (1.8k)

Geraus
8th February 2007, 03:23 PM
what are they?

GreenViouS
8th February 2007, 03:49 PM
I found skunk2 COILOVERS..
http://www.skunk2.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=COV

517-05-0700
1992-01 PRELUDE(ALL MOEDLS)
$338.02

Would this one be good?

They are coilover sleeves. They work in a similar way to full coilover systems but they sit over the top of normally designed shocks. Proper coilover systems integrate the adjustable springs and shock into the one design. They are still usually better than a spring/shock combination. The Skunk2's you posted above allow the spring to be raised or lowered usually about 0.5"-3.5" in height.

I'd say once they are in Australia (ie total price including shipping) they will be about $450. Once again these are separate from shocks. You can use coilover sleeves over standard or aftermarket shocks (koni yellows need special perches though). I've heard that Ground Control coilover sleeves are better than the Skunk2's because they use Eibach springs and a newer perch design.

I was looking at getting the Ground Control coilover sleeves, and a fully adjustable shock setup like KYB AGX or Koni Yellows.

If ya wanna read more, here is a review of Ground Control sleeves and Koni Yellow setup on a 5 gen Prelude.

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/groundcontrol/groundcontrol.shtml

grnLude
8th February 2007, 03:53 PM
Do you your research on suspension setups. That is the best advice I can give, I went through 3 setup's before I settled on the one I have.

I wouldn't get the SK2 sleeves they are too stiff..

The GC are good, that is what I have on my car at the moment.

Shocks wise, koni's are the the best..

What ever you do, do it right the first time as the suspension is one of the most important parts of the car. Don't skimp on quality parts.

Also,make sure you get the work done by a good shop.

I wouldn't get king springs.... get something like eibach or similar if you are not going to upgrade your shocks.

GreenViouS
8th February 2007, 04:00 PM
Oh yeh I forgot you had GC sleeves.. So your happy with them grnLude? I read that if its dropped over 2" the spring can sometimes rub the threaded sleeve. Have you ever had any problems like this? And when you bought them did you request a certain spring rate? I've heard for the prelude that whatever you do, get slightly softer at the rear than the front, obviously because the lude is quite light at the rear so hard springs at the back could cause slight oversteer..

So did you get GC's from an eBay US link?

grnLude
8th February 2007, 04:22 PM
^I'm happy with the GC sleeves. Yes, mine have the rubbing issue, but it's no big deal because the car will never be raised that high to cause a problem with the rubbed thread. (<- I hope you understand what I'm trying to say)

I have the stock spring rates on the GC's. They are slightly soft for the crappy vic roads....

I bought them off EBay.

Geraus
8th February 2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks Guys so much ! im glad im with the prelude club ... helps me so much.. :) .. Im geting my rims 2morow i'l show u guys a pic to see wot u guys think. Oh and yeh i think i'l be getting the Skunk2's ordered. So when i buy it.. can i bring it to a shop and tell a guy to put it in? or would i need other things? and how low is 3'inch? :( im confused still lol.. will it sit on top of my 18's like on the rubber or something? Can i just chuck them straight on? or do i need to upgrade other things as well?

GreenViouS
8th February 2007, 10:30 PM
^I'm happy with the GC sleeves. Yes, mine have the rubbing issue, but it's no big deal because the car will never be raised that high to cause a problem with the rubbed thread. (<- I hope you understand what I'm trying to say)

I have the stock spring rates on the GC's. They are slightly soft for the crappy vic roads....

I bought them off EBay.

ok cool, yeh I know what you mean, and I think in the thread I read about this issue the guy pretty much said the same thing. He ended up shaving the top of the sleeve down a little so that it wouldnt be a problem. I dont think that anyone would buy them and lower their car <1" anyway.

K thanks for that mate.

Thanks Guys so much ! im glad im with the prelude club ... helps me so much.. :) .. Im geting my rims 2morow i'l show u guys a pic to see wot u guys think. Oh and yeh i think i'l be getting the Skunk2's ordered. So when i buy it.. can i bring it to a shop and tell a guy to put it in? or would i need other things? and how low is 3'inch? :( im confused still lol.. will it sit on top of my 18's like on the rubber or something? Can i just chuck them straight on? or do i need to upgrade other things as well?

Hopefully you have ended up with rims with a good offset (ie +45 or above) so that the wheels will sit far enough in the gaurds, also the tyre profile could come in question. I have 18x7.5" rims with 225/40 tyres (ie 40 is the profile, 35 is a thinner or low profile tyre), and I dont think I could safely lower my car any more than 2". 225/35 tyres are thinner and will allow the car to be lowered slightly more. Rolling the gaurds (pushing the inside lip of the gaurds up slightly) can help give the rims more room for lowering, but shouldnt be necessary.

If you buy the Skunk2's Im pretty sure they come with everything necessary for fitment. Take them to a shop and he will swap them with your original springs, and just tell him how low you want the car to sit. Roughly 1.5" will have the gaurds sitting just above the tyre tread.

Geraus
8th February 2007, 11:48 PM
ok thanks so much dude. Now im not stressing.. Ive been waiting for abuot an hour lol ehhe . Have a good night.

last question: it wont damage any of my stock suspesntion n stuff?

GreenViouS
8th February 2007, 11:56 PM
It shouldnt damage your stock struts, but they wont last as long. Stock struts are designed to work at stock height, so if your dropping it to 1.5" lower it will be in new territory so to speak. Having said that there are people here that have gone well below that height on stock shocks and they have lasted a decent amount of time. A good set of shocks will cost $600-$1100.

Other people may wanna comment on this cuz I havent actually gone ahead and done my suspension yet, its my next mod.

typevu
9th February 2007, 01:14 AM
Well... after about 2 years with king springs lowered 1.5" front and 2.5" rears my shocks are rooted as... lol but I'm in the process of grabbing a new set of Tanabe Sustec Pro S-0C coilovers :biggrin: