PDA

View Full Version : good brake pads. list them here

preludacris
29th August 2006, 01:56 AM
hey

wanted there to be a thread with all the favourite brake pads of you luders out there

Best performance
best street pad
best VAlue..

wtvs
just name them

for me personally , i want something that i can take thru the twisties, and can withstand days at the track , and doenst eat my rotors too much. mainly a good sports brake

any suggestions ?

94vtirozguy
29th August 2006, 02:36 AM
ferredo excel
lucas

are a few... usually the better the pad, the more dust it throws up (unless you like rotor eaters).

preludacris
29th August 2006, 02:39 AM
i've heard the ferodo excel are not bad. rich rekns they are tops, but ive heard other places they are prolly just better than OEM .. nothing outrageously special

i heard the ferodo ds2500 i think the model is. are crazy awesome .. but kinda exxy? 250 for fronts , 180 rears.

for me i would be looking at something like a ferodo excel or above...

ebc ? ive heard mixed reports, good and bad.. whats ur opinion?

racinghonda
29th August 2006, 09:54 AM
From experience the Ferodo Excels are great. The bite over stock is fantastic and so far have not been able to get them to fade. I haven't had them on the lude yet, just the Jazz. The Jazz's stock brakes used to give up after 2 maximum stops from 100kph and now they keep going and going. So I would say that their fade resistance is much better than stock. They are a bit noisy when braking though, you can hear the pads and the bite can catch you off guard.

As for EBC, I can only speak for the Greenstuff pads. Pretty good but will fade after a while, then if you let them cool down, they will come back very strong and take much longer to fade again.

nator
29th August 2006, 12:30 PM
Yep Ferodo

CUL8R
29th August 2006, 01:23 PM
EBC REDSTUFF!!!!!
absolute killers, cannot get them to fade

robboTHEyobbo
29th August 2006, 04:16 PM
EBC GREENSTUFF!!! for fast street driving and track racing (do fade a little after about 4 laps or so) but therye good all round pads

robboTHEyobbo
29th August 2006, 04:17 PM
what they say about "more bite, less dust" is a croc though my chrome wheels turned black when i do a race

preludacris
29th August 2006, 05:30 PM
hrmm
i've heard ebc can eat ur rotors.. not too sure

the green stuff, i jst rmb mcchook fully bagged them out for not being able to withstand a trip to the mountains..

marty , how are the red stuff in daily driving ? loud? do they every bite unexpectatly?

anybody had experience with bendix ultima ? i heard for value, they are pretty good.

robboTHEyobbo
29th August 2006, 05:48 PM
well mate in my experience and everyone i know who uses green stuff they havnt had trouble....i did 1 race at phillip island and 1 race at sandown both about 4 sets of 4 laps and had no trouble apart from a couple of lock ups which is to be expected in the wet but apart from that i was happy with them, havnt noticed any excessive rotor wear though, but they do produce lots of dust

ENDLESS
29th August 2006, 05:52 PM
Endless Na

CUL8R
1st September 2006, 09:46 AM
hrmm
i've heard ebc can eat ur rotors.. not too sure

the green stuff, i jst rmb mcchook fully bagged them out for not being able to withstand a trip to the mountains..

marty , how are the red stuff in daily driving ? loud? do they every bite unexpectatly?

anybody had experience with bendix ultima ? i heard for value, they are pretty good.
the redstuff pads can go hotter than greenstuff. take a lil more to get to operational temp but javnt had any dramas at all...alot of dust on the fronts and none on the rears bearly ne neways. i need to change my front pads and i cant think of anything else id rather have on there.
greenstuff are plenty fine for street/track. good combo might be redstuff on fronts and green on rears if u wanna save $$$

RedLineR
1st September 2006, 10:55 AM
What happened to honda oem brake pads? They are just as good as those aftermarket. For price, value, and performance i would go pass OEM.

CUL8R
1st September 2006, 12:34 PM
oem fade something cronic when given hell!

mr_crust
1st September 2006, 12:41 PM
ive used bendex and find them awesome for braking

94vtirozguy
1st September 2006, 03:42 PM
stock pads are designed for daily commuters. Not my choice for spirited driving around mountains

preludacris
2nd September 2006, 02:01 AM
haha yeah ..

OEM are designed to withstand like 2 full braking stops .. incase of emergency

man i took a couple friends around the block, and by the 2nd friend half way thru .. my brakes were just MUSH

how much are redstuff for front and rear ?

CUL8R
2nd September 2006, 03:23 AM
not cheap mate, give brakes plus a call, they did mine for me...i forget how much but when people say 150 for front and rears or what not makes me doubt wat i paid. DO NOT EXPECT A PRICE LIKE THIS, after all, they are serious pads

racinghonda
2nd September 2006, 10:47 AM
haha yeah ..

OEM are designed to withstand like 2 full braking stops .. incase of emergency

man i took a couple friends around the block, and by the 2nd friend half way thru .. my brakes were just MUSH

how much are redstuff for front and rear ?

I have found that they last a little longer than that mate. When you say mush, you mean the brake pedal got long? A pedal getting long means the brake fluid boiling which is a seperate problem.

I have done a few marysville touge runs and they have held up ok, they only start to outgass (fade) towards the end of the down hill but they recover fairly quikly. Maybe my slotted rotors are helping vent the out gassing from pad . . .

Something like the Ferodo Excel would have absolutely no trouble, even on the track.

The VTiRs have pretty massive brake rotors for a car of its power and weight so even stock they hold up pretty well.

spacemaster
2nd September 2006, 12:17 PM
Endless Na
Are they any good ?

preludacris
2nd September 2006, 02:28 PM
yeah rich . the brake pedal was being pushed way further down, and i was getting serz brake fade! im not even sure if my pads are OEM, coz they came with the car..

but yeah, after couple times round the block , the brakes were smokn! hahah so yeah i dunno

robboTHEyobbo
3rd September 2006, 02:03 AM
redstuff arent really necessary for just street driving though its not like you have to constantly brake from 200k's to 0k's, and theyre designed for higher operating temps so you have to warm em up before you get their full potential, i use greenstuff and i reckon theyre fine for street driving, even a few laps on the track, get out of it bit cheaper too, helps to know someone who can get you em for cheaper coz they are real expensive brake pads

preludacris
11th September 2006, 11:35 PM
hrmm

yeah curious to see how green stuff would hold up on the track ..

anybody have experience with Endless ?

Steve-o
11th September 2006, 11:54 PM
yeah rich . the brake pedal was being pushed way further down, and i was getting serz brake fade! im not even sure if my pads are OEM, coz they came with the car..

but yeah, after couple times round the block , the brakes were smokn! hahah so yeah i dunno
Sounds like you need new pads and more importantly a brake bleed with some new fluid.

racinghonda
12th September 2006, 08:54 AM
^^ Yep.

And there are basically two types of brake "fade".

1) Pedal gets long, IE you push the pedal and the pedal falls away more than usual. This is an indication that the brake fluid has boilled, releasing air into the lines, air compresses much easier than fluid so the pedal falls away. If this happens then you need to bleed your brakes and change to at least a Super DOT 4 fluid. I have never experienced this kind of fade in a Prelude.

2) Pedal gets hard and car doesn't slow down. This is an indication of "out gassing" from the pads. Basically, the material in the pad has over heated and has started to release gasses. These gasses get in between the pad and the rotor, which decreases the friction. The pad is effectively "aquaplaning" over the surface of the rotor. The remedy is to improve brake cooling or get a higher temperature rated pad.

vtc
12th September 2006, 11:26 AM
i run on my car.

Front discs - DBA Slotted and drilled
Rear discs - DBA Slotted rears
Front pads - endless SSM dust free
Rear pads - endless 9500

More then enough... it really does stop when you want it to.

preludacris
12th September 2006, 01:46 PM
^^ Yep.

1) Pedal gets long, IE you push the pedal and the pedal falls away more than usual. This is an indication that the brake fluid has boilled, releasing air into the lines, air compresses much easier than fluid so the pedal falls away. If this happens then you need to bleed your brakes and change to at least a Super DOT 4 fluid. I have never experienced this kind of fade in a Prelude.

Yeah i think thats what i had.
will have to talk to my mech about that ..! :S I think he just changed the brake fluid . not sure.

are u running standard pads rich?

preludacris
12th September 2006, 01:48 PM
i run on my car.

Front discs - DBA Slotted and drilled
Rear discs - DBA Slotted rears
Front pads - endless SSM dust free
Rear pads - endless 9500

More then enough... it really does stop when you want it to.

how much did the pads set you back $$ ?

racinghonda
12th September 2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah i think thats what i had.
will have to talk to my mech about that ..! :S I think he just changed the brake fluid . not sure.

are u running standard pads rich?

Yep, standard pads on the lude till they wear out.