PDA

View Full Version : coilovers for 5th gen

panto_24
12th July 2006, 12:57 AM
Hey guys, I'm the market for some coilovers and happened to notice d2 and g4 racing ones on ebay. Just wondering if anyone knows how these perform and if they're worth lookin at? Or even recommend a set that ppl have had good experiences with? Basically all I want is to lower the car by non-standard heights eg 20mm rear and 40mm front and stiffen suspension. Any advice would be appreciated :)

ENDLESS
12th July 2006, 12:59 AM
if u wanna know imtimate details about how good D2 and G4 is, ask Autobarn on NS.com, he has personal experience with it - even made a thread about those products after testings and shit...........and let me tell u, it aint a good review lol

Menthu Rae
12th July 2006, 03:04 AM
Yeah those coilovers are most likely junk. Suspension is absolutely important to your safety. Choosing the right suspension for the kind of driving you do and kind of roads you'll be driving on is essential.

Never skimp or go for cheap/non-quality items for anything to do with brakes, suspension, rims or tyres.

That said, you can spend around $1500 and get maybe some TEIN's or a bit less than that and you can go a koni yellow/eibach pro kit combo.

If you just want to lower the car and have slightly stiffer suspension, I would invest in the koni/eibach combo. Proven to be excellent by several members on this site.

panto_24
12th July 2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies.. guess I'll forget about those dodgy ebay ones. Yea I'd love to get a set of tein coilovers but $1500 you say? I haven't seen em that cheap anywhere.. hook me up!! :)

ENDLESS
12th July 2006, 08:01 PM
^^ if u dont mind going 2nd hand they will be half price......! but some can be rebuilt while others cant, not sure about the Tein ones.

Menthu Rae
12th July 2006, 08:20 PM
Hey guys,

Ends 02/06

5,000 kms
Springrate 10/6
16 damper with EDFC
2 way height

Excellent condition

$1950 delivered

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k33041149

Ends 10/04

Springrate 12/7
16 damper

~$950 delivered

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r25010764

Ends 23/04 BB6

Tein HR
Springrate 12/8
20,000 kms

$1150 delivered

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n38098370

Spring rate is very high for these though... if you want it for street, look for Tein Super Streets (SS).

If you want new, no fuss gear though - definitely go the route of the Koni's.

CUL8R
13th July 2006, 03:31 PM
new bb6 TEIN SS i got for 1650, dont skimp on something holding u to the road!

racinghonda
14th July 2006, 11:23 AM
Also recommend Tanabe Sustec Pro S-S. I have these, superb ride considering its high spring rate (10/6) and the level of chassis control, responsiveness, handling and grip is just phenomenal with these.

RedLineR
14th July 2006, 11:30 AM
Also recommend Tanabe Sustec Pro S-S. I have these, superb ride considering its high spring rate (10/6) and the level of chassis control, responsiveness, handling and grip is just phenomenal with these.

I double that... just ask assassin motorsport about it... he's one of sponser :yahoo:

mr_crust
14th July 2006, 11:35 AM
thats a very high spring rate indeed, do you find it rough at all if you hit any heavy bumps?

racinghonda
14th July 2006, 11:54 AM
thats a very high spring rate indeed, do you find it rough at all if you hit any heavy bumps?

BIG bumps will be felt for sure. The car just reacts so much quicker to the road too, so the car pitches and follows the undulations in the road much like a race car. But its never uncomfortable or harsh. Just rather firm, very controlled damping. When I first drove it after installing I thought, WTF, did they get the spring rate right? Because it was so comfy. But then I threw it into a few corner and I had a big grin on my face. Then I hit a big dip in the road and I really felt the spring rate then (head felt like it was going to go through my shoulders).

stoff
14th July 2006, 01:51 PM

I triple that!! :vtec:

Honestly, I love the Tanabe's too!

mr_crust
14th July 2006, 02:37 PM
BIG bumps will be felt for sure. The car just reacts so much quicker to the road too, so the car pitches and follows the undulations in the road much like a race car. But its never uncomfortable or harsh. Just rather firm, very controlled damping. When I first drove it after installing I thought, WTF, did they get the spring rate right? Because it was so comfy. But then I threw it into a few corner and I had a big grin on my face. Then I hit a big dip in the road and I really felt the spring rate then (head felt like it was going to go through my shoulders).

sounds like a few guys like these coilovers, must be well setup, but thats the key to everything, if its well setup it will be a decent ride.

panto_24
15th July 2006, 06:47 PM
mmm well i guess so many ppl can't be wrong, i'm seriously considering these :) i'ma get at assassin motorsports right now

bjviper
15th July 2006, 06:56 PM
Hey, interesting thread so far. What type prelude u got? I've got an ATTS model and want to lower it, so just researching atm

Cheers
Brendan

RedLineR
16th July 2006, 01:36 PM
Hey, interesting thread so far. What type prelude u got? I've got an ATTS model and want to lower it, so just researching atm

Cheers
Brendan

Tanabe Pro SS will fit the ATTS model ;p

Jay
17th July 2006, 01:53 PM
Tanabe Pro SS will fit the ATTS model ;p

tein ss will too, i've have them on my atts lude..

Mitchman
21st July 2006, 11:06 AM
Iv just order Tein Flex's with pillow upper mounts, cant wait to fit them they're $2079 from Bt-revolutions or like $3000 RRP lol they are sed to be awwwsome plus u can get the in car damping adjuster (also on the SS). I will be doing as many track days as i can with them, but if u just want em for street get the Tein SS, lot cheaper n nearly as good..i've heard lol

CUL8R
21st July 2006, 04:35 PM
i was going to get the flex, but opted against it coz of how illegal they are, the ss are almost street legal (through vicroads) all u need is some sort of brake line bracket but the flex arnt. so if u were in an accident ur insurance company may try and use it as an exit stratergy

vtc
21st July 2006, 09:08 PM
reviews on the coilovers you have boys!

CUL8R
21st July 2006, 09:37 PM
sorry bro i just got em a couple days ago.....havnt had the time to install em yet. if were lucky it looks like sunday.....but i doubt it lol....

thing is im gonna do my bushing kit while im at it so itll take a long time, so itll be hard to find the time to do it netime soon....

dunno how quick i can get it all in.

rihia
22nd August 2006, 03:02 AM
how much did u guys pay for the tanabe suspension?

Menthu Rae
22nd August 2006, 11:09 AM
how much did u guys pay for the tanabe suspension?

speak to lude38u or azjs :side:

azjs
22nd August 2006, 12:17 PM
lud38u will provide a club discount for you via assassin since he's a sponsor of the site...

-az

glen2602
22nd August 2006, 05:45 PM
i dont know if the G4s are shit or not, i wouldnt get them i know that much, but i do know they advertise in HOT4's mag, so obviously somebody might just be selling them on ebay just to get the brand more known more. The also do 8spot brake upgrades for the 5th gen as well, ive seen them on also, but yeah i would go some teins or a known brand, esspecially since u can get some for 1500.

Menthu Rae
22nd August 2006, 08:07 PM
More pots doesnt mean more braking power, not totally anyway. Some racing calipers are single pot :side: Best thing to do is upgrade the master/slave cylinders and go for bigger calipers and discs from the same family (i.e. within Honda)... in this case maybe Integra Type R Brembos? Not sure... anyway Prelude brakes are pretty good, don't really need to upgrade unless you're doing some serious circuit work.

glen2602
23rd August 2006, 06:38 PM
yeah im happy with my brakes they stop me just fine i rekon.

CUL8R
26th August 2006, 07:11 AM
so i got my TEIN SS in today and still have it on very gentle damper atm to work em in a bit. but the changes are huge!
less bodyroll and far more traction.
feel very confident taking the side streets around my house what was on a generous limit before is now normal pace. it just feels so great. the dynamics improved 2 fold!
i cant wait to try these babies at higher damper settings around some serious twisties!
will give a bit more of a review once bedded in ect.

Menthu Rae
26th August 2006, 09:17 AM
How bumpy are they compared to standard shocks? See, Sydney roads suck ass... and already, with standard suspension, some roads are just too bumpy in the lude and make driving uncomfortable...

God forbid I get coilovers and then have to drive up the hunter valley one day... that would destroy the chassis of the car I'm sure!

vtc
26th August 2006, 01:42 PM
how much did you lower it by as well? pics!

CUL8R
26th August 2006, 06:06 PM
i havnt lowered it as yet, i need to park it partly on the driveway so i can figure out how far i can drop it. will prob do all that next week.

luke. i went fast over like a dip and i thought i was gonna go through the roof, it was great fun! lol, train tracks are pretty bad but i wouldnt say its uncomfortable. its transfers bumps to ur arse and not the steering wheel, it feels like a much more performance orientated car now but yeah u dont feel things as bad when ur the driver so i dunno how warrented my answer to ur question would be.
my stock shocks were ROOTED so i became used to the slow rebound before the coilovers but from talking with u about how anal u are about ur car i dunno if these are for u personally.
find someone with TEIN SS coils and bum a ride off em, or pay me a visit in melb and ill take u for a spin.

[stealth]
31st August 2006, 09:32 PM
tein ss for 5th gen are good quality/build etc.. however are pretty dismal for lowering as presumed...

RedLineR
1st September 2006, 11:04 AM
How bumpy are they compared to standard shocks? See, Sydney roads suck ass... and already, with standard suspension, some roads are just too bumpy in the lude and make driving uncomfortable...

God forbid I get coilovers and then have to drive up the hunter valley one day... that would destroy the chassis of the car I'm sure!

I find that with tanabe pro ss the ride was much more comfortable than stock, even when i lowered it 2.5"+. It must be the helper springs that gives the soft ride while maintaining performance and handling. Also you can play around with the damper setting to closely match stock ride or softer like you're sitting on clouds if that tickles your fantasy ;p or if you like it bumpy and hard on ur ass set it to stiff. The options are yours.